Home \ Orientation Year for Non-EEA Graduates

Non-EEA nationals who have earned a diploma from a higher education institute in the Netherlands have the opportunity to stay in the Netherlands for a year after completing their studies to look for work. This is called the “Orientation Year for Highly Educated Persons.”

The residence permit orientation year for highly educated persons can be submitted within 3 years after completing the studies, or after obtaining the PhD. This scheme gives those graduated in the Netherlands the opportunity to first return to their country of origin after having completed their studies, and to then come back again to the Netherlands.

The employment status on the residence permit for the orientation year for highly educated persons states that work is allowed without restrictions, a work permit (TWV) is not required.  This means that the holder of a residence permit orientation year for highly educated persons is allowed to work in the Netherlands free from any restrictions. This means that during the year you have free access to the Dutch labor market and that your employer does not need to apply for a work permit. When your orientation year is over, you will need to change your residence permit.

For the most up to date information please visit the following website:

Orientation Year for Highly Educated Persons